Les Amis de Beauford Delaney is supporting the completion of

BEAUFORD DELANEY: SO SPLENDID A JOURNEY,

the first full-length documentary about Beauford.


Join us in making this video tribute to Beauford a reality!

TO MAKE A TAX DEDUCTIBLE DONATION,

CLICK HERE.



Saturday, December 30, 2023

Happy Birthday, Beauford! - A Revisiting

Thirteen years ago today, I published a blog post called Happy Birthday, Beauford!

In it, I announced that I was putting the blog on hiatus and indicated that I would resume regular publication if Les Amis took up one or more specific projects, namely: 

 • An annual Beauford Delaney commemoration, to be held in Paris 

 • Placement of a plaque in Beauford’s honor on a building in Paris 

• An exposition of Beauford’s paintings in Paris 

 • A scholarship to support an art student in Beauford’s name.

While I'm proud to say that we've accomplished two of the four projects (the exhibition and TWO plaques), I started the blog again long before Les Amis had concrete plans to pursue anything on the list!

That's because Beauford had gotten "into my blood" or whatever metaphor you use for not being able to let something go.

I published the next post in January 2011 and relaunched weekly posts in March 2011.

And for the most part, I have faithfully published once a week since that time.

This has truly been a journey and a labor of love.

And it will continue.

So once again, I'm please to post the following from this platform:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BEAUFORD!

Monique and Beauford's Untitled (1957) Oil on canvas
Image © Discover Paris!
© Estate of Beauford Delaney
by permission of Derek L. Spratley, Esquire,
Court Appointed Administrator

 

 

No comments: