Les Amis de Beauford Delaney is supporting the completion of

BEAUFORD DELANEY: SO SPLENDID A JOURNEY,

the first full-length documentary about Beauford.


Join us in making this video tribute to Beauford a reality!

TO MAKE A TAX DEDUCTIBLE DONATION,

CLICK HERE.



Saturday, August 26, 2023

Summer Visit to Thiais Cemetery

The single yellow rose that I saw several days ago when I visited La Maison de Santé, the psychiatric clinic in Nogent-sur-Marne where Beauford underwent treatment after his 1961 suicide attempt, inspired me to visit Beauford's gravesite and place yellow roses on his tombstone.

So, I made my way to Thiais Cemetery to do just that.

I took the metro and the tram to the cemetery on Tuesday, August 22. It was hot, the sky was clear, and the cemetery was peaceful.

The flowers in the beds in front of the conservation office were a bit faded, but they still offered a spray of color near the cemetery's entrance.

Conservation office
© Entrée to Black Paris

I took an indirect route to the tombstone, wanting to approach the grave from a different direction so I could see a bit more of the cemetery.

I visited the tomb of several airline employees who died in a plane crash on a flight between Brazzaville, Congo and Paris in May 1961.

Paris Brazzaville tomb
© Entrée to Black Paris

I then walked down the cemetery's Central Avenue to reach the upper border of Division 86, where Beauford is buried.

The neighboring division to the north, Division 87, was so filled with foliage that I decided to stop there first.

It looked like the perfect set for a graveyard scene in a horror movie. I have never seen tombs so overgrown before.

Signage for Division 87
© Entrée to Black Paris
 
Division 87 - Overgrown tombstones 1
© Entrée to Black Paris

Division 87 - Overgrown tombstones 2
© Entrée to Black Paris
 
Division 87 - Overgrown tombstones 3
© Entrée to Black Paris
 
Division 87 - Overgrown tombstones 4
© Entrée to Black Paris

One of the paths between rows of stones was physically blocked by blackberry bushes!

Division 87 - Path blocked by blackberry bushes
© Entrée to Black Paris 

Division 87 - Blackberries
© Entrée to Black Paris

Division 86 was overgrown as well, but not to the same extent.

Division 86 - View from northwest corner
© Entrée to Black Paris 
 
Division 86 - View from southwest corner
© Entrée to Black Paris 

Division 86 - Path to Beauford's grave from southwest corner
© Entrée to Black Paris

I found Beauford's tombstone in pristine condition, lying in partial sun, almost like a beacon amidst the crumbling stones nearby.

Beauford's tombstone
© Entrée to Black Paris

I cleared away the weeds that I found next to the base of the tomb and laid five yellow roses there.

Roses on Beauford's tombstone
© Entrée to Black Paris

Over the years, the sun has bleached the coloring in the inscription on the stone beneath Beauford's photo, so it is now difficult to read.

Tombstone inscription
© Entrée to Black Paris

I will investigate how this can be corrected.

Before leaving the cemetery, I went "next door" to Division 94 to see the Jardin du Souvenir to pay my respects to Beauford's friends, Larry Potter and Leroy Hayes.  Their ashes were disbursed in this division years ago.

Division 94 - Jardin du Souvenir
© Entrée to Black Paris

On my way back to the entrance, I saw signs posted at two divisions that announced the reclamation of tombs for which concessions had not been paid.


Division 93 - List of tombs to be reclaimed
© Entrée to Black Paris

It was a tangible reminder of why I founded Les Amis de Beauford Delaney - to prevent Beauford's exhumation.

View of Beauford's tombstone from southeast corner of Division 86
© Entrée to Black Paris

No comments: