Les Amis de Beauford Delaney is supporting the completion of

BEAUFORD DELANEY: SO SPLENDID A JOURNEY,

the first full-length documentary about Beauford.


Join us in making this video tribute to Beauford a reality!

TO MAKE A TAX DEDUCTIBLE DONATION,

CLICK HERE.



Saturday, September 3, 2022

One Good Beauford Story Inspired Another

On July 2, 2022, I published a post about a splendid article that Scalawag Magazine published about Beauford.

Today, I'm sharing the backstory regarding this article. 

Elaine Lee is one of America’s leading experts on travel. A San Francisco/Bay Area-based journalist, she has visited 65 countries and completed two solo trips around the world. She is the editor of “Go Girl” The Black Woman's Book of Travel and Adventure," and her website, ugogurl.com, is a leading portal for information on black travel, black travel writing and travel media information. She and I have known each other for many years. 

I subscribe to the UGoGirl newsletter, and on Wednesday, August 31, I was thrilled to receive the message below (reprinted with permission). It is entitled "My Story about Delaney Didn't Make It to Press, but at Least I Inspired Another":

Greetings!

I hope this email finds you well. 
When I visited Paris in 2019, I attended a play called Amazing Grace is Yellow – the Life of Beauford Delaney, Painter, written by Silver Wainhouse. Afterward, I spoke to Monique about the play as well as the documentary that she and Zach (Miller) were working on. I offered to write an article to help publicize their project and the growing resurgence of interest in Delaney's work.

I designed a pitch and sent it everywhere I could think of.  I got nowhere - until I contacted Scalawag magazine, whose editor asked to see the story. Though she did not like it, she liked the idea and assigned the project to another writer, Tyra Seals, who did a fabulous job. 
Photo courtesy of Darthea Speyer Gallery

Even though my story about Delaney didn't make it to press, at least I inspired a magazine editor and another writer to carry out the project. There's no such thing as a small victory!

Below is the link to the story:

Out of the Shadows: The Queer Life of Artist Beauford Delaney
I am grateful to Elaine Lee for her grace and humility in sharing this story with her audience and for allowing me to share it with you!
Elaine Lee at Amazing Grace is Yellow
© Entrée to Black Paris

No comments: