Les Amis de Beauford Delaney is supporting the completion of

BEAUFORD DELANEY: SO SPLENDID A JOURNEY,

the first full-length documentary about Beauford.


Join us in making this video tribute to Beauford a reality!

TO MAKE A TAX DEDUCTIBLE DONATION,

CLICK HERE.



Tuesday, May 25, 2010

A Colorful and Generous Donation!

When I wrote to http://www.herbertgentry.com/ several days ago to obtain permission to use the photograph of Herb Gentry in last week's posting, little did I know that I would receive a generous outpouring of support from his widow, Mary Anne Rose!

Rose sent a return e-mail message within 24 hours, not only to tell me that I could use the photograph, but also to indicate that she wished to donate a Gentry serigraph (silkscreen) to be sold in support of the Beauford Delaney Gravesite Project. "I know Gentry would have given a piece of his art to stimulate other giving," she wrote.

In a second message, she relayed the following:
I met Beauford Delaney twice, at the end of his life. It was when Gentry and I lived at the Cite Internationale des Arts in Paris (1978-1980), at the beginning of our lives together. Beauford was ill and residing at St. Anne's. The first time I met him, we found him in the garden wearing bright blue pajamas and a yellow straw hat, like the Van Gogh self-portrait. The attendants said they knew he was very special. The second and last time I saw him he was in bed, little and frail. He would not live much longer. Both times when Herb introduced me, Beauford took my hand and held it very gently.

The work is called Always Green (2000). It is from an edition of 150. The paper size is 15.25" x 11.5".


Always Green
Herbert Gentry
Serigraph (2000)

We are planning to place this beautiful serigraph up for auction as soon as we set up an account with a fine arts auction house. Until that time, the work will be available for purchase at the price of $1,500.00.  If you are a collector, or know of one, who would like to acquire this work, please contact me at amisdebeauford(at)yahoo.com as soon as possible.

Les Amis de Beauford Delaney thanks Mary Anne Rose for her generous contribution!

No comments: